Thursday, March 24, 2011

Week 4- Reading Commentary




The art of possibility has a lot of wisdom between its pages.  I was finishing the reading and was thinking about Dvorzak’s New World Symphony.  It is one of my favorite pieces as well, thinking that I have a copy on tape somewhere in my collection of music.  It was another gem that we performed either in high school or in college or both.

Photo by SL Colby
The Art of Possibility actually reminds me of spring flowers coming up through the earth and giving others the chance to start again. 

In the coda, the authors suggest: The book had no intentions of solving your problems or even letting you browse”.  (p. 198) I read it all the way through and thought there were more gems that I missed.

What they may have meant that is this book has a lot of suggestions for you to take into your life to help you, but it is in no way a solution to how you live your life.  For me I think that there are enough guidelines that I can use to move from this point forward.  I will think of myself as a new spring flower getting ready to greet the sun and turn myself into a different direction.  That is something that Full Sail University has given to me.

4 comments:

  1. This book has helped us to open our eyes to things that may have been always there but because of our busy life we have not had the time to reflect on them. I totally agree with you, when you say, “ that there are enough guidelines that I can use to move from this point forward”. I think that reading this book has been a great chance for us to be reflective about the things that we have done well and wrong in the past so we can improve them but also to create and seek for new opportunities to move forward now that we are going to begin a new stage in our professional lives. I think that this Masters has been such an incredible adventure that has enriched us personally and professionally. Try to always think of yourself as you described “as a new spring flower getting ready to greet the sun and turn myself into a different direction”. We are the only ones that have the power to create our own story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dena, I'm glad you decided to write about the coda, as I almost skipped reading that section! I really like how you broke it down and completely agree. While there were parts of this book that I wasn't 100% sold on, a majority of it had so many little lessons and suggestions that I could certainly use in my life to help me with my views on life. From just thinking outside the box, to using your imagination to not limit yourself and grow. Nice analogy of the book being similar to a spring flower, and how fitting for this time of the year (even though it's still freezing in NJ)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the best that we can encourage, that one take one's experiences and use them to spring forward into the future. Onward and upward, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too, like that this book doesn't offer us a recipe for success, but rather challenges us to think about our own situations by taking a step back from them. The stories in the book remind me of not being able to see the forest for the trees.

    ReplyDelete