Saturday, April 3, 2010

BP3_2010041_Web2.0T1-Wordle

This is what I found.
The Web 2.0 tool that I wanted to check out is Wordle.  The reason for picking Wordle, is partly because I read something about it in one of the articles that we had to read for the class.  I thought it might be fun to play with and make word collages.  So I did.










This is just an example of what you can do with Wordle.  In order to create a product in Wordle, you need to paste or key in several words and then it creates a collage like you see above.  You can change colors of the words and background and the font.  Like this,









      One problem with this is that there is a font entitled “Sexsmith”, so the site becomes blocked just for that reason.  The font was developed by a person by the name of “Sexsmith”.   This makes it difficult for some people to use it-as their filter blocks anything with "sex" in it.

       This might come in handy when working with vocabulary words of any type.  I tried that too.  These are terms that I have used with students while teaching my technology courses.



It didn't work as well with the terms as the words get mixed up and if you are not careful, then the term gets mixed into the meaning.  The one thing that I did miss was a "back" key or a way to go back from where you where.  However, it does allow you to randomize the words on the page.  This application may also be good for brainstorming, descriptions or a poetry unit.  If you have a bunch of words to use, then it could colorize the words and then someone could decide which words to use for a particular use.

The site also has a gallery of other people's work, which was interesting, however, there were some on there with words that I wouldn't let others see.  This may also exclude the site from some filters.

I would recommend its use if teachers could get to it.


No comments:

Post a Comment